Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The end of GCC and goodbye to Myanmar!

The Global Citizen course has almost come to and end. And in four days we will be on the flight back to Copenhagen. It is such a strange feeling having to say goodbye to Myanmar. Before I came here i couldn't imagine that i would feel this belongingship to a country after staying there for four months.
Experiencing a culture so different from what I am used to was in the beginning very exciting but also overwhelming. Eventhough Myanmar is different from Denmark in so many ways, i feel this connection to the country. I don't feel like a tourist when i walk around the streets anymore. I feel kind of at home. So eventhough i am looking forward to go back to Denmark I will definetely feel sad about leaving Myanmar.

If I think about what I have learned from the last four months, the biggest lesson has been understanding the cutural differences. Spending so much time here and really getting to know Myanmar has changed my perspective a bit. I am not looking at my own country in the same way as before i came here. On one hand i feel a lot more thankful for being born in Denmark. But i also feel that some people in Denmark could learn a lot from the burmese. About being more open to strangers, and about kindness and sharing.

In four days i will not only have to say goodbye to Myanmar. I also have to say goodbye to the people i have spend every single day with over the last four months. It is an intense experience going to another country with people you don't know and spend all your time with them. Sleeping in the same room, spending your sparetime together, go travelling together. You get to know eachother in a speciel way, which i think is very unique. It makes you develop!  

Frederikke

No comments:

Post a Comment