Sunday, April 3, 2016

How to find yourself

People all over the world are looking for themselves. They look in the magazine, their TV, their idols, their parents, their friends, their psychologist, in their surroundings. But I know where to look: go travel.

Coming to Myanmar and experiencing a different culture with a different history, cultural and social values and a different way of living has made me more aware of what I come from. Attending a course that focus on being a global, active and informed citizen has made me more aware of my obligations and responsibility toward all people. So now I have an idea of my foundation and a direction in life. But is this the way of getting to know yourself? 
A little bit I think.

If you look for your history and roots don't look where you always look. How will you find your answer if you look in the surroundings you been made in and has made yourself. 
They didn't know what to give you to begin with. 
Travel outside them. Meet yourself in what you are not, in surroundings that are not familiar. You will discover what kind of glasses you see the world through. I have discovered that I come from a very structured society. There are a system for collecting garbage, taking public transport, conservation of old buildings, paying taxes. Not much is left to chance. 
I am kinda a product of my society and it can be seen in my personality, my expectations and what I take for granted. Here in Myanmar their society is much less structured and from an outsider it can seem very chaotic. But still things happen in their own way. Their society and their history can also be seen in them. I find the people of Myanmar so relaxed and so helpful. Wherever we go people are helpful and they often don't expect anything in return. This hospitality and immediacy I will take with me home. So even though I have only been in Myanmar one month I have discovered some of my roots, some of my personal boundaries and something I like to change. 

And fortunately being an global citizen gives mw a hole world to travel in and a connectedness that will always follow me

// Signe B

No comments:

Post a Comment